Benefits of Massage Gun Therapy: Theragun and Workout Recovery
When it comes to work out and race recovery, the human body often needs help to bounce back from sustained performance. From cold tub therapy to Normatec boots to the Theragun, our trainers use a variety of tools to help our athletes recover from a rigorous workout. At Accel, we pride ourselves in giving our clients a workout that pushes their limits in order to move them toward their performance goals. Whether we are helping them return to play or train for the next big race, our individualized workouts are designed to reach their bodies’ optimal performance.
Though it can be visually intimidating, the Theragun is a fan favorite after a tough workout. Our athletes love the release of muscle tension they feel after using the Theragun. The benefits of massage gun therapy go far beyond the initial release. Its use can aid in future performance and prevent injury.
What is the Theragun?
The Theragun is a kinetically powered device that does similar work to a foam roller but uses less effort. Its Japanese motor is scientifically-calibrated for optimal results to delivery percussive therapy to sore and tight muscles. The triangular shape of the massage gun is ergonomically sound and perfectly weighted to allow the user to treat themselves or others.
The body percieves pain at specific frequencies. The Theragun and other massage guns “trick” your nervous system into blocking pain signals to the brain and increase the blood flow to your muscles. This offers numerous benefits to your body, both at the time of use and in the future.
What are the benefits of a massage gun?
The main focus of percussive therapy at Accel is to improve sports performance and aid in recovery. Beyond those reasons, there are many benefits to be gained by the use of the Theragun.
- Relieves stress and relaxes the body by releasing tension and fluid deep in the muscles to increase tissue metabolism.
- Increases blood and lymphatic circulation, which allow more oxygen and nutrients to reach the muscles.
- Encourages healing of atrophied muscles by “waking them up” to allow for faster healing with increased flexibility.
- Releases lactic acid build up in the body, often a result of intense exercise.
- Stimulates nerve receptors, which cause vasodilation in the skin and muscles to improve mobility.
- Breaks up scar tissue by deeply massaging collagen fibers to alleviate pain and relieve constriction.
- Enhances the range of motion by creating more flexible joints and reducing the risk of strains and sprains.
- Improves overall wellness. Regular use of a Theragun can improve sleep and immunity, as well as reduce anxiety.
If these eight benefits of massage gun therapy aren’t enough to convince you of their merits, talk to one of our personal trainers today about all of the tools we use to aid in workout recovery and return to play therapy.